PRAY. PURSUE. PERSEVERE.

Saturday, January 09, 2016


"Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." --Psalm 37:4 NKJV

I am a dreamer. I have big plans for my future. I see myself on stage dancing to "Tale as Old as Time." I see myself dressed for the prom on the arm of a charming young gentleman. I see my first record releasing -- an opportunity to share the gospel through my musical passion. After a paid four years of college, I see myself teaching a class of second graders leaning forward with perked ears and drinking in every word of the adventurous life of Caddie Woodlawn. I see myself handing a bride her bouquet and telling her how lovely she looks as she blinks back tearful eyes and the page turns in her book of life. I see a glitzy ring grace my left hand. I see myself reaching over my pregnant belly to set Winnie the Pooh on top of the bookcase. 

These and many more are dreams I have for my life. Some are plausible. Some are very likely. Some have a much slimmer chance of occurring. But on every one of these dreams for the future, I can take action now

Pray. Pursue. Persevere.

PRAY

"In everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." --Philippians 4:6 ESV

Prayer is a miraculous thing. We, of billions of humans on earth, plea from our lips and groan from our hearts and the God of the universe hears every word, every thought. And, he gives us an answer: yes, no, or wait. Though our human nature may disagree with his sovereignty, be reminded that "as for God, his way is perfect; the Lord's word is flawless." (Psalm 18:30  NIV)

Recently I was again denied something that I have striven for year after year. Recognition. That isn't to say that I am not recognized for anything, I definitely have. But I have seem time and again that the Lord is keeping me humble by not allowing me every spotlight I desire. He is building my character by teaching patience, contentment, and joy in my present situation. Down left; not center stage. And, behind the scenes, I know that he is preparing me for something big. Something I can pray about. Something I can pursue.


PURSUE

"Trust in the LORD with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." -- Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV

Maria, the lovely heroine of The Sound of Music, experiences numerous twists and turns of the Lord's will for her life. If she had had everything the way she planned, she would have spent all of her days a misfit in the abbey alone in the world. But as she watched everything go wrong, she clung to the precious words of her Reverend Mother: "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere he opens a window."

What Maria does in the film is pursue the new open window. Her potential through it soars to heights far more grand than any she could have ever fathomed. Now, obviously there are many doctrinal faults in this masterpiece, but the lesson stands there just the same. Pursue your dreams, your goals and ambitions.  The Lord may say yes. The Lord may say no. But when we lean on the Lord and put all of our trust in Him and his plan for our lives, he guides us on the straight path. He throws open the bigger and brighter window. Jump out of it and trust Him to catch you.


PERSEVERE

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." -- James 1:12

Waiting is hard. Patience is trying.

But the Psalmist says, "Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him." (Psalm 37:7)

And Moses says, "He (God) will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

And Paul says, "We know that for those who love God all things work together for good." (Romans 8:28)

Scripture is such a blessing. Such an encouragement. Even when God doesn't give us what we think we deserve, first we must remember that we don't deserve anything. All we deserve is to eternally suffer in the burning fires of hell. However, we must also remember that God has a greater plan, a greater purpose for our lives. Not only impacting others, but glorifying him and enjoying him forever. The Westminster Shorter Catechism says this is our chief end. Think about that.

Above all things we are to glorify God and enjoy him, not just today or tomorrow not just right now, but FOREVER.

Life is not about us.

Yes, your dreams matter. Pray about them. Truly. Pursue opportunities that may lead to their outcome. Persevere through the waiting period whether it results with a positive or negative outcome.

If God says yes, praise him.

If God says no, praise him.

Again, Psalm 18:30,

"As for God, his way is perfect; the Lord's word is flawless."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST