OH, THRIFTY DAY!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

"Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak." // Rachel Zoe
Thrifting is an art form. One I have studied and practiced over and over again. I have come home satisfied but later found impulse purchases sitting untouched in the back of my closet. I have come home completely unsuccessful or off target with new shoes instead of a pair of jeans. I have even given up and resorted to paying retail prices at department stores.  And, yes, sometimes that's 100% necessary. But I'd like to share some tips with you about how to make the most of your day thrifting. 


Start with inspiration. 

Thrifting is about finding the diamonds in the rough. But you can't find diamonds unless you know what they look like. Start with inspiration. Know what pieces and silhouettes you are drawn to. My "Style" Pinterest board tells me more about what I'm drawn to than just about anything.


I made a lengthy list of pieces and styles to look out for while shopping. I brought it with me, but usually looking at pictures of outfit concepts and writing all the specifics down is enough to engrave the list in my memory. From my inspiration search, these are some of the pieces I decided to look for:

Sweaters: turtleneck. cowl-neck. fitted. embroidered. //  black, cream, grey
Skirts: textured. button-front. denim. corduroy. floral. holiday. // maroon, mustard, black, red
Menswear: oversized. comfy. casual. sporty. Champion. // grey, navy, hunter green
Dresses: velvet. floral. maxi. vintage. sparkles. holiday. // red, green, purple, black


Search for the best store.

You are looking for a Community Aid, Volunteers of America, or Salvation Army kind of thrift store. Someplace big with a lot of inventory. Most of it will be of little to no interest to you, but remember, we're digging for diamonds. I never said it would be easy.   

Consignment boutiques are excellent for browsing and can produce excellent results. If you just need a "new" top and have no picture in your mind of what you're looking for, taking a few minutes in a shop like this can generally fulfill this desire. However, places like these are not for big, specific shopping trips. Their lack of quantity can result in you walking away exhausted and empty handed. Prices are usually higher so if you do find the pieces you were looking for, you'll spend close to three times as much as you would at a larger store.


Shop the right day.

Most larger thrift stores have a day where everything is half-off. You might say what's the big deal if I pay three dollars instead of a $1.50? It's still super cheap! 

I spent $21.50 yesterday for 8 pieces. I would've spent $43. Big difference in my wallet.

Granted, I also "splurged" and bought an amazing coat for $30 that wasn't half-off, but I have justified the purchase to myself claiming that it probably retailed for $300 or more . The shell is 100% real leather, the trim is 100% real fur, and it fits me absolutely perfectly. No regrets. But definitely know your weaknesses when you go on trips like this. Mine is coats. I have too many, but I don't really care. 

Before I can continue, I have to explain how I approach a shopping trip like this. I use a half-cart (for mobility purposes) with the intent of filling it. I grab anything that catches my eye within the guidelines set in the following steps. After I have covered all of the ground I intended to cover, I head over to the dressing room and begin the gleaning process. I try everything on. Two-thirds of it goes back on the rack.

The truth about consignment is that you cannot hold up a piece in the isle and tell whether or not it will fit or flatter you. You have to try it on.

Stay on target. 

Having pretty much memorized the list I made, I was able to move quickly and efficiently without wasting time browsing.  Most stores like Community Aid will (to the dread of some) sort their clothing by color rather than by size. I used to detest this sorting system, but I have found how to use it to my advantage. Know what colors you like! In my sweater search, I spent some time in the pale blushes, hopped over to the cranberries and deep purples, and finally dug through the whites, greys, and blacks. I walked away from sweaters with about fifteen to try on and ended up buying four.

Do not waist time in colors that you absolutely hate or would never normally wear. Sometimes you'll end up buying something in a strange color because, against all of it's awful neighboring colors, it looked the most fresh. Shop what you like, not what you don't.


Stick with your style. 

I pulled some pieces off the rack today that completely defy what I have developed my style to be. But, while I was sifting through the rough of old, stiff sweaters, American Eagle and Hollister pieces had a definite appeal to them being young and fresh. This is trap is similar to that of the strange colors, and I fell for it. By the time I rediscovered them in the dressing room, they were the first to go. Teen brands are on my naughty list. Don't want their name except maybe on a pair of skinny jeans. 


Settle for only the best.

Know your brand names. Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Calvin Klein, New York and Company, White House Black Market, Jones New York -- all of these you can find at consignment and thrift shops, yes. even Community Aid! In my search yesterday for a black turtleneck sweater, I was faced with an entire isle of them! My plan was to first like the touch and look of the piece, then check the size and brand. If I recognized the brand, I often tossed it in the cart. 

Usually, these brands are marked up a couple of dollars, but if you go on half-off day, it will make no difference. It's worth buying from a brand that you know produces quality clothing, just let someone else pay the retail price! 


/            /            /


I love options. I love to mix and match. I love quality just as much as a good deal. 
And, I do have a love/hate relationship with my days thrifting. But, I feel that it's worth it. With the eight pieces that I bought (besides the jacket), I can easily put together 15 work outfits. That's without even considering all of the possibilities once I match them up with pieces I already own! 

Consider this approach. It takes some time and practice. 
But, it really does pay off. Try it sometime.


xo, Alyssa

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST