OBSERVE

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Pray for them. Live for Christ

In the last month I have been super busy with my new job, finishing up some stuff for school, and just life in general. But a lot has happened in our world in the last month. In our nation. A lot of it is disturbing. I know I am genuinely considering moving to Genovia -- in hopes that it has remained it's 2004 self since the last Princess Diaries movie came out.

Amidst all the craziness, I have been observing. Observing the way people think about themselves, about other people, and about the religious realm. When I say people, tonight I am considering the non-Christians among my acquaintance. My observations are as follows, and I write them in hopes of deriving application to myself and do not count myself guiltless in any of these areas:

\\

1. Selfishness 

This one has struck me in a unique way and has perhaps been the most obvious to me in my observation. When I write of selfishness, I am speaking more of the self-focused mindset that threads itself into everything they think, say, or do. Never does a thought directed toward the customer's perspective cross their mind. 

"It was so rude of them to not leave a tip on such an expensive order."

"Perhaps they didn't leave a tip because of how painfully expensive the order was. Or maybe they had a rough work day. Maybe their cat died this morning. Maybe today they found out their spouse has cancer."

You just don't know. 

Their selfish attitudes towards others has reminded me to put others first. To be understanding. To put myself in their shoes. To treat them as I would want myself to be treated. To serve them and expect nothing from them. And to love them. 

Their selfishness has revealed to me another dimension of Christ's humility. True humility is not merely the absence of pride. It is a complete denial of self. It penetrates us to the core. And, it is hard. I struggle with it every day in so many different areas of my life.

May our pride be in Christ as our only source of salvation.


2. Language 

My observation here is simple: it is called a "dirty mouth" for a reason. Outward beauty is shattered with foul language and degrading criticism of others. The Bible speaks so clearly on this topic - both in judgement and praise. I will let the inspired Word of the Lord speak on this issue.

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

"The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45

"It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person." Matthew 15:11

James reminds us in chapter 3 and verse 8 that "no human being can tame the tongue." Here lies the root of problem  - their hopelessness without Christ.

Let our words be gracious like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healthy to the body. (Proverbs 16:24) Through them our Christ's beauty can shine through us.


3. Hypocrisy

In the sense of speaking behind someone's back, hypocrisy can be friendship's greatest combatant. This observation is practically a subdivision of my previous point, but its significance in our world today demands our undivided attention. As certainly most of you have, I have watched one person speak to another about a shortcoming of a third party, and then watched the first speak to the third negatively about the second. What sort of twisted approach to relationships is this?

Unfortunately, an all too common one.

Tying my first two points together, I would also translate hypocrisy to one who treats you as a friend and then berates you to feed their own pride.  These people are hard to love. Hard to not lash out at with snide remarks or even raw rage.

"But I tell you, 'Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.'" Matthew 5:44

Lord, help me when I am provoked.

//

Now by and large, those I speak of are very nice people. But, my heart aches that they would open their hearts to receive truth. I feel that all too often we categorize unbelievers as unreachable especially if they have proved themselves on the heavier end of fallen human nature. Strive to channel Christ's light to them. Show them who he really is. His character as loving and faithful speaks volumes; let Him do the talking.

Pray for them. Live for Christ. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST