CAMP CHRONICLES: REFRESH

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Camp. Home away from home. Many don't understand how I could possibly have such a kinship to a place, a point on a map. It's not just the place, I say. It's the laughs, the moments, the people, the memories. And not only that: the Lord is present there.   I am a Chaco-wearing, gaga-playing, fire-building, Jesus-loving camp person. I am not ashamed of the mud or the gospel. It's part of who I am. And, while my identity as a confident mud roller may fade as I grab my Ralph Lauren trench coat, I pray my love for Christ always shines through.

"Go on up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good news; lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good news; lift it up, fear not; say to the cities of Judah, ''Behold your God!'” Isaiah 40:9

Camp. Home away from home. Many don't understand how I could possibly have such a kinship to a place, a point on a map. It's not just the place, I say. It's the laughs, the moments, the people, the memories. And not only that: the Lord is present there. 

I am a Chaco-wearing, gaga-playing, fire-building, Jesus-loving camp person. I am not ashamed of the mud or the gospel. It's part of who I am. And, while my identity as a confident mud roller may fade as I grab my Ralph Lauren trench coat, I pray my love for Christ always shines through. 

This weekend I had a neat opportunity to bring my friends from home up to camp. Some have been before; some hadn't. We only had one full day on camp, but a fun time was had by all. 

Our Saturday morning began with a trip to the pines. This little grove is nestled at the foot of the mountain and is one of the most dear places on camp. In the summer, we have our Sunday morning service out at Chapel in the Pines; fallen logs are mounted and sit in rows. The girls and I walked down there that morning to spend some time with the Lord before our crazy day began; His presence just fills the aura of the pines. 




We opened with the singing of "How Great Thou Art" listening to the birds sing His praise alongside us. Then we spread out individually and each spent some time in the Word. It was beautiful - all of us worshiping alongside each other though separate in our relationship with the Lord. I opened up to Isaiah 40. What a lovely passage that is! A song we like to sing in the summer instantly came to mind, and me being myself, I absorbed the truth in that passage through the singing of the song in my head (lyrics posted below). Finding myself wishing that we could sing that song that morning - that the worship leader even knew it - I stood up to sing at our standard inside chapel. But, the Lord projected "Behold Our God" on the screen for me, and we sang, reminded of his glory.

He is so present in our lives. It's the little things He does for us that show us the depth of his love. 


The Pines
Following lunch and a couple other activities, myself and a similar bunch hiked the mountain neighboring camp. It was the first time I had led any group up that mountain, but between the two summer camp alumni we made it up. We trail-blazed a couple times but still ended up on the trail. And, oh the reward to see their faces when the first walked out onto Lookout Rock! Priceless. Unfortunately, my senses have dulled to the view after so many trips up, but their joy brought me joy. 

Later that evening - I have to mention - we had a square dance. Honestly, I didn't know what to think going into it, but in short, we had an absolute blast.  And, when all else failed, we started up a Congo line. Such a neat memory, I'm certain I will never forget it.

The View from Lookout Rock

Now a certain question may have you puzzled as I have titled this post "Entry One." Allow me to explain that this was a youth group retreat through some area churches. It just so happened to take place at the Camp I grew up at and will be working at this summer. Hence the "Entry One." I am over the moon about counseling and plan to relate to you many of my adventures.


In closing, the song based off of Isaiah 40 that spoke to me this past weekend.

Who has held the oceans in His hands?
Who has numbered every grain of sand?
Kings and nations tremble at His voice
All creation rises to rejoice

Behold our God seated on His throne
Come let us adore Him
Behold our King nothing can compare
Come let us adore Him!

Who has given counsel to the Lord?
Who can question any of His Words?
Who can teach the One who knows all things?
Who can fathom all His wondrous deeds?

Who has felt the nails upon His hands
Bearing all the guilt of sinful man?
God eternal humbled to the grave
Jesus, Savior risen now to reign!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST