THANKFULS ON THE LAKE

Sunday, July 03, 2016


Between work, college applications, crazy weekends, and camp preparations, my schedule has been virtually nonstop. The adventures of this past Saturday were a breath of fresh air amidst the craziness. Looking ahead to this week, I am totally and completely overwhelmed by everything so I thought I would spend a few minutes in thanksgiving to refocus myself on how I am blessed. 


1. I am thankful for like-mindedness

Now, this is sort of a silly thing to say, but what a refreshing feeling it is to come back to people who support and respect what you stand for. When your friend affirms your convictions or when your pastor proclaims the truth, your heart warms with satisfaction that you do not stand alone. Though it may seem as if you are standing alone in a canoe with waves crashing around you, as believers we stand together. Our differences are inevitable, but our commonality, our like-mindedness in Christ is something we are to be beyond thankful for.

2. I am thankful for To Kill a Mockingbird

If you follow me on Instagram, you will have already seen my love for this story and its beautiful characters. Who could not admire Atticus for his wisdom, humility, and courage! With all of the odds stacked against him and his spotless reputation on the line, he still stands up for what he believes is right and just. Lord knows what years to come have in store, but may we be prepared to stand as firmly and as humbly as Atticus when faced with whatever the world throws our way.

And dearest Jean Louise. I admire Scout's confidence in herself; her steps never sway by the thought of another's opinion. The author writes, "She was one of the rare ones, so effortlessly herself, and the world loved her for it." Let us strive to be increasingly more like Scout - unconcerned with what anyone else thinks of us while identifying ourselves in Christ.


3. I am thankful for crown braids.

Because, honestly, what better way is there to get your hair out of your life for twenty-four hours?

4. I am thankful for canoes.

They are lovely, casual, and extremely photogenic. Plus, they are perfect for rides when you do not intend on coming out completely soaked. 

5. I am thankful for freedom.

Or what left we have of it. Far too often we take for granted simple liberties such as attending church and speaking of our Lord in public. In the United States, our persecution is fairly light while many of our brothers and sisters abroad fight physical and emotional persecutions every day. I sometimes feel as if I am watching a countdown of sorts as I look around at what our country is becoming: godless. Not simply godless but haters of God. What will become of those who love and preach this God that is so hated and forgotten? Thankfully, this God's love for us is beyond measure. Beyond breadth, width, height, and depth as my pastor put it so beautifully at this evening's worship. He is our stronghold, our fortress and shield when's Satan's flaming arrows are upon us. 

In our celebration of the Fourth, however, focus on the great lengths of religious liberty that is still extended to us in our nation. And, let us pray that that same liberty will continue to live not only for our protection, but for the freedom to openly acknowledge Christ as our Savior.


PS: Big shout out to my brothers for taking pictures of me yesterday on the boat WITHOUT dropping my phone. 

xo, Alyssa

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST