ALL THINGS LOVELY

Friday, February 19, 2016

 

Often as the winter days lengthen and the snow begins to melt, I find myself dreaming of picnics to prepare, flowers to pick, stars to gaze, and mountains to conquer. I am attracted to color to cover up the present, dreadful dreariness of the out of doors. These few weeks of the year are the most difficult for me and my overall happiness as the initial thrill of winter has passed and the long for spring air tugs at my soul. (With Saturday's predicted forecast aiming near 60 degrees, I am already planning what to wear and what activities to fill my day with.)

I have found that focusing on all things lovely (as opposed to all things dreary) is an excellent way to dissuade myself from wallowing in self pity. Today I would like to share from you some words that focus on such things.

.   .   .   .   .

"Is any pleasure on earth as great as a circle of Christian friends by a fire?" // C.S. Lewis

The world is a great book, of which they that never stir from home read only a page.” // John Wade

"I've loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night." // Galileo

"If instead of a gem or even of a flower, we would cast the gift of a lovely thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving, as the angels, I suppose, must give." // George MacDonald

"Pearls are always appropriate." // Jackie Kennedy

"Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat." // Laura Ingalls Wilder

"You're my place of quiet retreat. I wait for your Word to renew me." // Psalm 119:114

"You know, I'm old in some ways, but in others I'm just a little girl. I like sunshine and pretty things and cheerfulness, and I dread responsibility." // F. Scott Fitzgerald 

"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." // Rogald Dahl 

"The nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." // Lucy Maud Montgomery 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST