SHOP SECRETS

Saturday, February 20, 2016

I inhaled deeply as I stepped out my front door this morning. The smell of spring greeted me like an old friend embracing me with fresh enthusiasm. I know people partial to weather's extremes -- the fiery heat or frozen chill, but I feel this magnetism towards the transitional seasons. There is magic in watching the seasons change in accordance with the Lord's promise to Noah in Genesis 8:22.

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease." 

Beautiful. Now, back to business.

Today was spring shopping day. One of my favorites. And, thanks to a $50 Kohls gift card and a 30% off coupon, money wasn't too much of an issue. I've spent the last several years devoting most...(all) of my budgeted spending money to my "fashionistaness."  (Which is a fabulous word, and yes, I'm saving for college, too.) This work in progress has developed into a pretty solid wardrobe. Granted some pieces are sooo three years ago.

I shop all ranges of stores from T.J. Maxx to Community Aid to my dad's closet. Yup. I'm not gonna lie, designer is my preference, but honesty, who can afford that? I will brag and tell you about my Ralph Lauren trench coat I found at a small consignment boutique. Eight dollars. Why in the world would I spend two hundred? Just a little perspective.

When I go hardcore shopping, I always have a plan. I browse Pinterest for some inspiration and start making a list. I record styles that I have preference towards and colors schemes that catch my eye. Today's list looked something like this:

STYLE
    • sandals
    • floral midi skirt
    • chambray shirt
    • shirt dress
    • heels for spring/summer
    • long cardigan

KEY COMPONENTS
    • lightweight material
    • neutrals
    • versatility
    • florals with color
    • stripes

     

Now, please understand that I had absolutely no intention of buying everything on this list. I actually only bought the chambray shirt and long cardigan. However, both were neutrals and a lighter weight materials so mission accomplished!

Important note: do not go to Kohl's with high expectations for formal wear. they just don't deliver. Looks cute; fits terribly. Sorry, Lauren Conrad. Love your jewelry, though.


Also, run away from Kohl's shoe clearance unless you have all day to dig. 

I came out of the trip with some unexpected pieces that still fit the first three key components. With these five pieces alone I can create at least twelve different looks. Now, that's success.


Let's say that I took this same list to a consignment store. Your plan, or more realistically, your expectations should differ drastically if you are hitting consignment rather than department or designer. Good luck trying to find a modern floral at Community Aid. I've maybe seen one or two mini skirts. Not a fan. However, if you're ever looking for some flannels or big, cozy sweaters, head right on back to the Men's department and knock yourself out. A statement necklace can spruce up almost anything. Well, just about.

A few tips for Men's consignment. I like men's because the colors, at least in consignment, are more my style. No buttery yellows or grandma lavenders. Maroon, army green, and navy are good colors to look for. Also, material is everything. If you can't stand how it feels, run away. Here, comfort is key. Try different sizes and see what works best for you. Finally, please try it on before purchasing! A lot of men's stuff fits great but a LOT of it doesn't. Look for how it hangs on you and if the arms are just too big.

If you are lucky enough to discover an amazing designer-only, better-than-Forever-21 consignment boutique for a fraction more green, another bar of expectancy can be set. At mine, I got two pairs of jeans, GAP and NY&C, for ten dollars all together. They're out there, those deals, just keep on looking.

Some patience, inspiration, and head knowledge can lead to a fantastic wardrobe. Your Pinterest board can be your closet. You can look put together.   It's not as hard as it looks. And not as expensive either. I always say, if you believe you can rock it, you can!

Just...if orange isn't your color, RUN. ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST