WHY ARE FATHERS FORGOTTEN?

Sunday, June 19, 2016


If you happen to fall into the 115.5 million viewers of that cute little girl singing on America's Got Talent, then you watched as the cameramen focused on her sweet, darling mother with tears in her eyes as she watched her baby sing in front of some of the biggest names in the music industry. Well, the biggest name. *cough, Simon Cowell cough* Even a healthy dose of closeup time was spent on her big sister glowing with pride.

But did the camera ever focus on her father?

The answer is no. In the fleeting shots of the whole off-stage crew, you might catch a man behind the mother squeezing her shoulders and reminding her of his presence. Now, I am no expert on their family situation, but I'm telling you what I see. I see the world chopping out the significance of a father figure in the home. I'd bet money he had tears welling in his eyes as he watched her perform - welling with pride. As a viewer (of at least 10 of the 115.5 M), I feel cheated of my viewing experience. Expressions and reactions were given of several audience members, the entire panel, in addition to the mother and the sister.

I wanted to see her daddy.

I wanted to see him smiling. His thoughts cross his eyes.

There is no way that he was not involved in the process. Were her skills honed through his instruction, or it was his encouraging words that inspired the idea to audition? Even in the interview beforehand, I didn't hear him say one word. And, I'm sure he did.

If it were me and my father was slighted, I would be furious.

My father's impact on my life - musically or otherwise - is not something to be cut out. He has been beside me every step of the way even when steps were not mine to have. When my legs were barred in a full-body cast, he picked me up to dance. And that's most of what we did together - danced. Most of what we still do. If we're not dancing then I'll bet we're singing something. Listen carefully and you'll hear my brother's in on the action usually creating a 3-4 harmony piece. Pretty solid. I'm so proud.


Not only has my father given and enhanced my musical abilities, he's also fostered a love for children in me. A love for children's ministry. My father is an elementary school teacher. How many men are found teaching at an elementary age? One to fit the qualifications and enthusiasm is rare, much less one who actually does it for a living. Through so many interactions with different kids and situations, I have watched my father display enormous amounts of patience. Undeserved amounts of patience.

Beyond his work as simply a classroom teacher, his hours at the Christian school are poured into teaching 1st-8th grade technology and 3rd-8th grade typing, being the church/school's year-round I.T. guy, directing the boys a Capella group, coaching the middle school boys soccer team, and doing whatever odd job is asked of him to do. His responsibilities are endless. But he never complains. All of his tasks are done to the absolute best of his ability for the glory of his Savior.

So back to my original question: Why are fathers forgotten in the world today?

So many children grow up without a father present and, out of those present, many are not respectable. I could go into statistics of recent generations and the affects of a father's presence on this and that, but I don't need to. You know the reality. Children need a father. Not two mothers. Not two fathers, even. Our God as an all wise God structured the family perfectly.

The world has, is, and will continue to distort the image of a family until its dying breath. As believers, let us hold fast to the family as the Lord ordained it in his holy and inspired Word.

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Daughters // John Mayer


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

BLOG ROLL

PINTEREST